Theory: The Sorcerer of Les Trois Freres Cave and the Galactic Center of the Milky Way
April 23, 2015/Lynn T.
Here’s my theory: I think the Sorcerer of Les Trois Freres Cave is an image in the Milky Way located between the Scutum Star Cloud and the tip of Scorpius’ tail — the Galactic Center of the Milky Way is in the lower half of the sky image. (The location is described in more detail below.) It’s a fascinating image in the night sky.
(Update: Added Milky Way photo)(Updated: Sketches)
Sorcerer of Trois Freres
About 13,000 BC an image was etched and drawn on a cave wall. Now usually called the Sorcerer (also the Shaman or Dancing Shaman) the image still resides about 15 feet above the floor of the Sanctuary chamber of Les Trois Freres Cave in southwestern France (Ariege). The Sorcerer (about 30 inches high and 15 inches wide) has antlers, a beard, tail, and it looks like it is dancing.
Milky Way Image
There is a large image in the Milky Way that looks like the Sorcerer of Trois Freres. The sky image also has antlers, a beard, tail — looks like it is dancing. And the sky image’s antlers appear to match the asymmetrical antlers drawn by the Abbé Breuil (Henri Breuil). There are four points on one antler and three points on the other (Facial features and ears can also be seen in the sky image. See below.)
(Added Milky Way photo)Where to Look
The sky image is located between Sagittarius and Scorpius. The Galactic Center of the Milky Way is located in the lower half of the image. The sky image’s right antler reaches up to the Scutum Star Cloud, and its feet are above the tip of Scorpius’ tail. The tail/backside of the image is the Dark Horse/Pipe Nebula. And the M24 Small Sagittarius Star Cloud is part of the face/beard. (Updated map.)
Additional Trois Freres Cave Figures and Markings (Bison-Man and Reindeer/Bison/Markings)
One of the engraved panels in the Trois Freres Cave includes images of a bison-man and a reindeer and bison-type figure. The bison-man cave figure looks like part of the top of the right antler (next to the Scutum Star Cloud) of the Sorcerer Milky Way image. The reindeer/bison cave figures and the markings next to them also look like images in the Milky Way (most overlap the Sorcerer Milky Way image/middle and lower body). (For more information: Bison-Man Theory and Reindeer/Bison/Markings Theory)
(Added sketch. The blue dot is the M6 Butterfly Cluster.)
(Added sketches of markings. On the Milky Way sketch the blue dot is the M6 Butterfly Cluster and the pink dot is the M8 Lagoon Nebula. In the Milky Way the marking in front of the reindeer image is filled with a gold/orange color.)
1) If the Trois Freres Sorcerer was originally a sky image it may explain its position high above the cave floor. (Perhaps there is a link between the way the Milky Way image is viewed and the Sorcerer’s location in the cave.)
2) There is a claustrophobic tunnel about fifty yards long that leads to the Sanctuary chamber. Could this tunnel have in some way represented the arch of the Milky Way?
3) In addition to other possible meanings, could the Sorcerer have represented a certain time of year when the sky image was in a specific location?
4) This theory could also explain the Sorcerer’s asymmetrical antlers and full face.
5) Could others have been influenced in some way by the sky image – such as Witsen’s Siberian Shaman or the Celts (Cernunnos)?
6) As the earth rotates the Sorcerer sky image appears to dance across the night sky. Perhaps this movement influenced dances, etc.
The three sons of Count Begouen discovered the Cave of Les Trois Freres in 1914. Trois Freres means “three brothers.” The Sorcerer is also called: the Shaman or Dancing Shaman of Trois Freres. In French: Sorcier de la Grotte des Trois-Frères.
Links for My Cave Art/Rock Art and the Milky Way Theories
Links for More Information
To view a photo of the cave Sorcerer visit: https://www.britannica.com/place/Trois-Freres
Views expressed on any linked external websites may not be my views.
Copyright © 2015-2018 LT. All Rights Reserved.
**ESO photos are the property of their respective owners. This Blog is not associated with (including but not limited to) any ESO photos, links, or websites.
Advertisements: This Blog is not associated with (including but not limited to) any advertising/advertisers, links, or websites. Ads are generated by WordPress software.