Theory: The Trois Freres Cave Bison-Man in the Milky Way
February 4, 2016/Lynn
Here’s my theory: There is an image in the Cave of Les Trois Freres in France that looks like a little Bison-Man playing a musical instrument. It is called the Little Sorcerer or the Petit Sorcier à l’Arc Musical. There is an image in the Milky Way that I think is the Little Sorcerer Bison-Man in the cave.
(Update: Added Milky Way photo.)
The Little Sorcerer Bison-Man Cave Image
The Little Sorcerer Bison-Man is an engraved image in the Cave of Les Trois Freres in southwestern France (Ariege). It is included in a panel with numerous engravings. Its date is about 13,000 BC.
The Bison-Man in the Milky Way Image
Where to look: The Bison-Man in the Milky Way is a small image next to the Scutum Star Cloud. It looks like there is a dark line and a line of stars next to the nose of the Milky Way image. The sketch includes a line of stars. (There is also a star closer to the body that turns the line of stars into an inward curved line image.)
The Bison-Man cave figure and the Bison-Man Milky Way image are facing in opposite directions.
There are many images in the cave panel with the Little Sorcerer Bison-Man, including a reindeer and a bison-type figure. I think the reindeer/bison are also Milky Way images.
(Update: Added sketch. This image compares three cave figures with three Milky Way images. The blue dot is the M6 Butterfly Cluster.)
There are also many markings next to the reindeer/bison cave figures that I think are images next to the reindeer/bison Milky Way figures.
(Update: Added sketches of the markings. On the Milky Way sketch the blue dot is the M6 Butterfly Cluster and the pink dot is the M8 Lagoon Nebula. In the Milky Way the marking in front of the reindeer image is filled with a gold/orange color.)
For more information: Reindeer/Bison/Markings Theory
1) Perhaps there is a link between the way the Bison-Man Milky Way image is viewed and the Bison-Man’s location in the cave.
2) In addition to other possible meanings, could the Bison-Man cave figure have represented a certain time of year when the Milky Way image was in a specific location?
3) In the Trois Freres Cave there is another panel with a Bison-Man type figure. It appears to be looking backward. Perhaps the Milky Way image is also connected with that cave figure. (And perhaps the backward-looking cave figure is the Milky Way Bison-Man turning around.)
4) The Bison-Man Milky Way image appears to be above another Milky Way bison image that is facing (and directly behind) the Milky Way reindeer/bison pair. Perhaps the Bison-Man Milky Way image and this other Milky Way bison image below it were thought of as one.
(The Bison-Man Milky Way image looks like it is standing or dancing or jumping, etc. on this other Milky Way bison image – there may be other historical connections to these images as well.)
5) (The Milky Way image’s arm may have been viewed as two arms. Also, there is a line above the Milky Way image’s shoulder – perhaps this is the other arm.)
6) Perhaps this Bison-Man Milky Way image is connected to other figures — for example, the Gabillou Cave Sorcerer, or the Chauvet Cave Sorcerer, or to the Minotaur.
(Update: Added sketch.)
I also posted a theory about the large Sorcerer of Les Trois Freres Cave and the Milky Way. The Bison-Man Milky Way image is part of the top of the right antler of the large Sorcerer Milky Way image.
For more information: Sorcerer of Trois Freres Theory
Links for My 6 Cave Art/Rock Art and the Milky Way Theories:
Links for More Information
The views expressed on any linked third party websites may not be my views.
Copyright © 2015-2017 LT. All Rights Reserved.
**ESO photos are the property of their respective owners. This Blog is not associated with (including but not limited to) any ESO photos, links, or third party websites.